1-877-327-4636 Alcohol and Substance
1-800-436-8477 Morning Sickness
1-888-246-5840 HIV and HIV Treatment
1-877-439-2744 Motherisk Helpline
416-813-6780 Motherisk Helpline
Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Resources
- Read more in our News Archive
Current Studies at Motherisk
Neurodevelopment of Children Exposed in-Utero to Chemotherapy for Maternal Breast Cancer (Dr. I Nulman)
Diclegis Surveillance Program Study
Diclectin Surveillance Program Study
Study seeks women between 4 and 12 weeks in their pregnancy with morning sickness (NVP)
Pregnancy in Women with Multiple Sclerosis
Environmental Exposures and Children's Health
Alcohol Use during Pregnancy
Control of Hypertension in Pregnancy Study
Folic Acid Before and During Pregnancy
Lamisil in Pregnancy
Meridia in Pregnancy
Autoimmune Diseases in Pregnancy Project
Cancer in Pregnancy: Pentostatin
Pentostatin (Deoxycoformycin; Covidarabine) is a potent non-competitive inhibitor of adenosine deaminase. Pentostatin is used in the treatment of lymphoproliferative malignancies, particularly hairy cell leukemia.
|Animal studies *||mouse||5 mg/kg||In mice the mode of action is via abnormal development of the allantois 1. Using 5 mg/kg on day 7, defects of neural tube closure and arch development were found on day 10 and followed by a high rate of embryonic loss 2|
|rabbit||up to 0.02 mg/kg daily.||In the rabbit fetal toxicity occurred after intravenous administration but no teratogenicity 3. Fuchigami et al (1991) gave up to 0.1 mg/kg intravenously and found fetal death and toxicity at 0.02 mg per kg but no teratogenicity. 4|
|rats||0.75 mg/kg||In rats fetal resorptions were increased and body weight reduced along with skeletal abnormalities and defects 3.|
|mice||up to 1 mg/kg||Deficiency in spleen and thymus weight has been noted after perinatal treatment of mice with deoxycoformycin 5. All pups from dams treated during the last 5 days of pregnancy with deoxycoformycin died within 2 days of birth; however, treatment during embryogenesis had no effect on pup survival.|
|Human studies||No epidemiological studies of congenital anomalies in infants born towomen treated with dacarbazine during pregnancy have been reported.|
- Airhart, M.J.; Robbins, C.M.; Knudsen,T.B.; Church, J.K. and Skalko, R.G.: Developing allantois is a primarysite of 2'-deoxxycoformycin toxicity. Teratology 53:361-373, 1996.
- Airhart, M.J.; Robbins, C.M.; Knudsen, T.B.; Church, J.K. and Skalko, R.G.: Occurrence of embryotoxicity in mouse embryos following in utero exposure to 2'-deoxycoformycin (pentostatin). Teratology 47:17-27,1993.
- Dostal, L.A.; Brown, S.; Bleck, J. andAnderson, J.A.: Developmental toxicity of pentostatin (2'-deoxycoformycin) in rats and rabbits. Teratology 44:325-334, 1991.
- Fuchigami, K.; Sameshima, K.; Izumi, H.;Honda, H.; Yamauchi, M.; Hayashida, M.; Inoue, H.; Kuwata, S.; Umehashi, M. and Shigaki, T.: Study by intravenous administration of YK-176 during the period of organogenesis in rabbits. The Clinical Report 25:4319-4327, 1991.
- Luebke RW et al: Immune function in mice exposed to the adenosine deaminase inhibitor 2'-deoxycoformin during immune system development. Immunopharmacol Immunotoxicol 9:149-61, 1987.