Every weekday, Motherisk counsellors share evidence-based information with women and health care providers who call the Motherisk Helplines. CLICK HERE for HELPLINE NUMBERS
Our Website Sponsors
Pregnancy & Breastfeeding Resources
Current Studies at Motherisk
The Safety of Diclectin in Breastfeeding
Neurodevelopment of Children Exposed in-Utero to Chemotherapy for Maternal Breast Cancer (Dr. I Nulman)
Diclegis Surveillance Program Study
Diclectin Surveillance Program Study
Study seeks women between 4 and 12 weeks in their pregnancy with morning sickness (NVP)
Pregnancy in Women with Multiple Sclerosis
Alcohol Use during Pregnancy
Lamisil in Pregnancy
Meridia in Pregnancy
Autoimmune Diseases in Pregnancy Project
Consuming non-alcoholic beer and other beverages during pregnancy and breastfeeding
Although there are no studies evaluating the safety of consuming non-alcoholic beverages during pregnancy, these drinks might contain higher ethanol levels than what is indicated on their labels. more »
Natural doesn't always mean safe.
Some women and their health care providers may be hesitant to take or prescribe drugs during pregnancy and may seek natural health products as alternatives to pharmaceutical drugs. Are they safe during pregnancy? Learn more »
Safety of tacrolimus in pregnancy
I have a 30-year-old patient who had a kidney transplant 2 years ago. She is now planning a pregnancy. She has been treated with tacrolimus since her transplant. Will it be safe for the fetus if she continues to take it during the pregnancy or should she switch to a different antirejection medication?
learn more »»
Approximately 20% of women experience NVP for a longer period of time. Some women may suffer from NVP until the end of the pregnancy.
Pregnancy, whether planned or a pleasant surprise, brings with it important concerns about prescription and over the counter drugs.
There are several agents for which safety during breast-feeding is not well-defined and may be a risk to the infant.
Exposure to certain infectious diseases during pregnancy may pose a risk to the unborn baby.
There are thousands of chemicals in use in today's workplaces - and more women at work than ever before.
Natural doesn't always mean safe. But that doesn't stop millions of people, including pregnant women, from consuming naturopathic products.
- Is it safe to use inhaled corticosteroids in pregnancy?
- L'inhalation de corticostéroïdes est-elle sécuritaire durant la grossesse?
- Consuming non-alcoholic beer and other beverages during pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Boire de la bière et d'autres boissons sans alcool durant la grossesse et l'allaitement
- Safety of the newer class of opioid antagonists in pregnancy
- Sécurité de la plus récente classe d'antagonistes des opioӗdes durant la grossesse
- Using nitrofurantoin while breastfeeding a newborn
- La nitrofurantoïne durant l'allaitement d'un nouveau-né
- Bias against the null hypothesis - Scaring pregnant women about drugs in pregnancy
- Biais contre l'hypothèse nulle - Effrayer les femmes enceintes au sujet des médicaments durant la grossesse
- Risks of untreated depression in pregnancy
- Les risques de la dépression non traitée durant la grossesse
- Safety of treatment of obsessive compulsive disorder in pregnancy and puerperium
- Sécurité du traitement du trouble obsessionnel compulsif durant la grossesse et le puerpérium